Sunday, March 21, 2010

boeuf bourguignon, revisited

You may remember that a little while ago, I made a pretty delicious boeuf bourguignon. As I was trying to decide what to make for supper a few nights ago, I had an idea. I would make this dish... with a twist.
This time, instead of using red meat, I used white meat. I used veal. Once again, I rolled it in the flour, fried it, and placed it in the ceramic pot, barely covering it with water. Instead of frying onions, though, with this meat, I added thinly cut mushrooms- the kind that are preserved in tins. It gave the dish a whole new taste. Really a new flavor. I continued the recipe, but instead of red whine, I added white wine, quite graciously, and left out the tomato sauce I often add.

Now this dish was a whole new, different feeling. I served it with slightly spiced mashed potatoes. Personally, I like the red meat better with rice or quinoa, and white with mashed potatoes... but I think they all fit pretty well. Veal would probably go with something a bit sweeter, maybe a fruit dish, while red would fit nicely with something more bland...
I love that about cooking- you can take an old recipe- that may have been really good!- and transform it into a whole new entity of its own! You can just switch a few small details, or some major ingredients, but either way, you get to play around with the recipe at hand. And that's part of what cooking's all about!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment