Wednesday, May 26, 2010

chocolate and fruit- two delicacies

Chocolate is an interesting food. It can be a sweet treat, one that you take in your bag as a sugar boost for when you feel tired and sluggish. It can be dark chocolate- you take a cube of it with your japanese tea in the morning. Perhaps you like to make cookies with chocolate chips in them... so chocolate is an ingredient that holds many possibilities.

Fruit. You've eaten a raw orange I'm sure. Maybe a poached pair, a baked apple, or some gingered pineapple. You can mix different kinds of fruit to make a fruit salad. You can put pear slices in a horseradish sauce for you salmon, or make a fruit yogurt. The possibilities seem infinite.

So here's my creation (which I know many before me also came up with...). I made chocolate dipped fruit... except the chocolate mixture was my own recipe! I know, it sounds so simple, but you have to make sure the chocolate doesn't harden, the taste is sweet enough, its not too liquidy, so it seemed like an interesting adventure. I melted chocolate for a few seconds in the microwave, and added an egg yolk, mixing really fast so that the egg does not cook with the heat of the chocolate- and then you add some heavy cream.
Now I cut the fruit I wanted to dip: pineapple, oranges, kiwi, and (my favorite-) strawberry. I dipped them and did not let the chocolate drip off, placing the fruit directly onto the platter I had prepared. The plate looked absolutely beautiful! Really a refine dish, I think. You can serve this with a dry cake...

So, I hope to post some pictures soon, to show you my creation (which I am so proud of!)!

Good night!
Bon Apetit

No comments:

Post a Comment