Tuesday, November 23, 2010

'Leftover' just found a whole new meaning; chicken soup!

What to do with leftover chicken? I used to wonder the same thing. It's cooked, and has been served. So how can you re-serve it, but elegantly, and still delicious?
I found a surprising answer in cooking class. Chicken soup. You can make chicken soup with cooked leftover chicken. It's pretty simple, and so convenient!
I started by putting the chicken, diced, into the pot with the gravy of the chicken. I added a can of tomato sauce, and sliced carrots, celery, and zucchini. The water I added simply blended everything together and gave me a soup consistency. Of course, I added an herb, and I chose cilantro this time, as it is what I had in my kitchen.
I let this simmer and boil for a minute or so, and then poured some corn-meal, lightly and gently and not all at once, to thicken the soup. This made a huge difference.
Surprising, short, and quick. You can play with the recipe as you wish, and as you see fit. Add the herb you want, the vegetables you want (onions, bockchoy, frozen corn...), leftover cooked rice, a can of crushed tomato or a tomato cubed- really whatever you want.
So that turkey that you are not going to finish tomorrow night... well, make a soup for the next day or two!
Happy eating and thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment