Friday, April 23, 2010

pickled lemons, mango orange chicken... wow.

I have so much to write about I barely know where to begin- I'll just tell you a few things.

First of all, I'll tell you what is cooking in my oven right now. I took chicken thighs and covered them (inside and out) with a mango sauce. Since the sauce was a bit dense, I added a few droplets of water to soften it and spread it on all the pieces of chicken. Next I cut an orange into thin slices and placed them on the chicken pieces. They are now in the oven, on bake, at 375 degrees, until they are golden and well cooked.

Levana Kirschenbaum. I met her a few nights ago, when I went to her cooking class in the city! I was so excited to meet this cook, it was wild!! So we made a meal of spicy bean soup, hummus-tehina, tilapia fish, eggplant salad, israeli salad, minty lamb kebab, and a dessert of makrod- a date cake. The meal was incredible, and I was ecstatic to meet her. The kebab was so soft and I hope to try to make it myself one of these days. The soup was spicy and hot, the beans soft inside, and pickled lemon gave it a great taste. Everything was so delicious.

To make pickled lemon, actually, you really only have to have lemons, and salt! Its so easy. Cut the lemon into quarters, maybe even thinner, and squish them into a glass jar. In between each layer, cover it COMPLETELY with salt. It seems ludicrous when you see the amount that goes in, but really, it makes it delicious. Put the jar under the kitchen sink or in a dark cold place for two weeks, and after that put it in the fridge and you can use it for whatever you want!

Hmmm... Maybe I will be a chef myself one day... Who knows?
As always- enjoy your tasty food!

1 comment:

  1. AAh dvorah, this rocks!! are the pix urs and e/t from the whole website??? you just might make the first celiac cook book and then ull be famous and i'll say...she was in my class hehe
    luv you mwaz!!
    ~2liveit

    ReplyDelete