Sunday, November 20, 2011

a kind of culture shock

I know I recently talked about this, but it cannot be helped. This past Friday I made meringues. Except this time, I was in a foreign country. I thought it would be simple- the recipe calls for not much more than eggs, sugar, and chocolate. But here's the catch... When you're in a new country, the ingredients are new, too. I must say I was quite surprised. First of all, the sugar was far too sweet, as were the chocolate chips. The eggs were significantly smaller, and the salt absolutely DOES NOT salt! And the oven!! Converting temperatures from farenheit to celcius is of no use- you have to play around with the settings of the oven until you find a temperature that suits you.
I'm embarrassed, but I'll admit- it was tough. The first batch was burnt on the outside and still raw inside, when I only left them in the oven for half the usual time. The second batch was unbearabley sweet, and the rest was ok... not amazing. Sure does something to the ego, let me tell you! But I hope to get used to the new food, new tools, new place...

Happy eatings to all of you folks out there!

(shout-out Jennie and Pinchas :) )

And enjoy your Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment