Monday, November 14, 2011

appetite abroad

I was sure that when I left the house to spend a year abroad, I would spend time cooking up a storm. But here I am, six months after graduating high-school, spending the year in Israel, and I find myself in the kitchen less often than at home! But I have been making more time for my hobby, so the past couple of weeks have been better. I think this blog will slowly transform into the student's guide to eating well even under time pressure and work-load. And it will encourage me to brave the exhaustion/laziness and cook.

Tonight, for example, I had a half hour break for supper. You can imagine that those moments, while rushing in between two classes, was not the ideal moment for making a nutritious supper. I was tempted to slouch in the living room with crackers, peanut-butter, jelly, and a book. But my inner chef refused. So...

One of the most useful inventions, a must have for all students: rice noodles- those that cook in under a minute. LITERALLY! Super thin, pretty plain, interesting consistency... I boiled water in a small pot. While that was happening, I took out a piece of salmon and prepared the plate. As soon as the water was boiling, I threw in some rice noodles, and within a minute, I had my meal! On the noodles I sprinkled some balsamic-olive oil salad dressing, and on top of that I put the salmon. Quick and easy. And so delicious. Felt like a home-made meal!

More to come. I will not let another six months pass without posting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment