Tuesday, June 14, 2011

mmmmmmeringues



It's been so long since last time I've posted. This school-year was hectic; completely draining physically and emotionally. But now that I'm back to myself, I'm back to my blog, too. Now without further adieu, I return to my food.

Meringues. It's basically only egg whites and sugar. But when done right, it'm magic. Today I made a batch of chocolate meringues with chocolate chips. I beat the egg whites (only three!) with vanilla until stiff and added the sugar gradually. Then I folded in the cocoa powder and the chocolate chips. I continued by spooning out the meringues and placing it gently on a greased pan. It stayed in the oven for about 25 minuted and came out splendid; a hint of gold around the edges, a peak at the tip, and a somewhat caramelized bottom.
Now, there are a few very important things to keep in mind when making this recipe.
First of all, stiff means stiff. And stiff means that you can turn that bowl with egg whites upside down and none of it will move, let alone slide or drop.
Second, when you beat the whites, quickly reach the highest speed on the mixer, and put a little bit of salt and a DROP of vinegar to keep the white and the stiffness. It works like magic.
And when you fold anything into the egg whites, be gentle, but assertive. Someone once told me to be the boss of my food. This is true: don't break the egg whites, but make sure the chocolate gets everywhere you want it to go. Its your dessert, it's your kitchen, it's your call.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment