Tuesday, December 22, 2009

supper 12-22-09: simple vegetable pie with a side of rice




























Tonight's supper was absolutely scrumptious. It was so simple, but tasted so so good! I started with a broccoli and cauliflower fresh vegetable mix. I set that aside to make our family's traditional 'white sauce'. You begin by mixing margarine and flour, making barely a cup altogether. Once that boils, add water, little by little, on a low heat, letting the mixture bubble before adding water again. As it thickens, add a few dashes of nutmeg and a bit of salt. Let this simmer for a few minutes and mix, constantly. Anyways, back to the veggies sitting in that glass bowl. I covered them with shredded mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese. I poured the white sauce over them, and watched as the cheese melted and the sauce spread. After pouring the mixture once, I proceeded to do it again, now covering all the different sides of the vegetable pie. The sauce definitely brings out the taste of the vegetables and the cheese. The oven was heated to 375 degrees F and I let it cook for about 45 minutes. I served it with a simple side dish of rice and let the family enjoy.

Dessert consisted of fruit- either grapefruit or grapes, but I am focusing on the actual meal part now, and dessert will be improved soon. Not to say that we never have good desserts, but I will enjoy making new and improved cakes and fruit platters...

I am very proud of this dinner. Simple, but sweet and really tasty and healthy. It is so simple to make, but the smiles after the meal are worth every second.

1 comment: