Tuesday, January 12, 2010

a solid soup


As the winter gets harsher, and the snow is showing up more often, it is important to have a good soup to warm you up. So although this is a very simple recipe, it is wonderful to come home to on a mid-January evening. This is a recipe from home, with the true taste of home.

I washed a few dark green squashes under water and cut off any part that looked not so great, and diced the squash. Those I put into a pot with one or two sweet potatoes- very hard ones- peeled and cubed as well. In the pot I covered them with water and covered the pot, letting the vegetables soften. I added salt to blend the tastes together, and let the mixture simmer for an hour or so. As soon as I thought the food was soft enough I blended the whole mixture together, adding half-and-half cream and swiss cheese. Wow! Warm, quick, and so tasty! This is a soup that could easily be eaten with garlic bread or bread-sticks, but you can also just eat it up plain.
As always, it is most important to enjoy what you eat!!


No comments:

Post a Comment